FAQs: Getting Started

Can I arrange support for my parents to help them stay at home?

You can be registered on My Aged Care as an authorised spokesperson for your parent, or the person you care for, but they will need to be present and verbally confirm that they are happy for you to speak for them. Once they have done this you will be issued with your own Aged Care number and will be able to ask questions and make arrangements on their behalf.

How do I register to get support services to help me stay at home?

The quickest way to register for support and arrange an assessment is to call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Please remember to have your Medicare card handy.

What happens during an assessment?

During the assessment visit, the ACAT clinician (usually a nurse, social worker or other health care professional) or RAS assessor will ask questions about how well you are managing in your day-to-day life. They will also explain the assessment process and give you advice about on the types of care services that may help you to stay at home.

Your assessed needs will determine whether you are eligible for the Commonwealth Home Support Program or which level of Home Care Package you are eligible for. You will also be asked about whether you want approvals to use residential respite care in the future.

In some instances, when staying at home is no longer possible, the assessment can also help to determine your eligibility for care in a residential aged care facility.

Can I have someone with me during the assessment?

Yes – It’s a good idea to have someone you trust and who knows you well at the assessment home visit. You can have a friend, family member, partner, carer or advocate with you during the assessment. To find a local advocate, contact the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600.

Who is Eligible for Belong at Home services?

Home and Community Care (HACC) is designed to assist people with the greatest need and aims to maximise people’s independence.

You may be eligible for Home And Community Care if:

  • You are older and frail and having difficulty with everyday tasks.
  • You have a disability.
  • You are the carer of a frail older person or someone with a disability.

For further information or to apply for services please contact our friendly and helpful team today!