Who is Eligible for Belong at Home services?

Home and Community Care (HACC) is designed to assist people with the greatest need and aims to maximise people’s independence.

You may be eligible for Home And Community Care if:

  • You are older and frail and having difficulty with everyday tasks.
  • You have a disability.
  • You are the carer of a frail older person or someone with a disability.

For further information or to apply for services please contact our friendly and helpful team today!

What is the difference between Home Care Packages and the Commonwealth Home Support Program?

Home Care Packages and the CHSP both give you support to stay at home. But there are differences between the programs.

With the CHSP, you:

  • choose from a set menu of services – there isn’t much flexibility
  • only pay for the services you use
  • can dip in and out of the program as you need things
  • have your eligibility assessed by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS).

With a Home Care Package:

  • a case manager or case adviser helps you understand the system and work out a Care Plan that suits your individual needs and preferences
  • you get your own funds to use and can decide how to spend it, rather than choosing from a menu
  • once you have a package, it stays in place for the long term
  • your eligibility is assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is the government gateway for all aged care needs, including assessment and information on aged care support and programs across Australia. They should be your first point of contact.

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or use their website www.myagedcare.gov.au

What happens during an assessment?

During the assessment visit, the ACAT clinician (usually a nurse, social worker or other health care professional) or RAS assessor will ask questions about how well you are managing in your day-to-day life. They will also explain the assessment process and give you advice about on the types of care services that may help you to stay at home.

Your assessed needs will determine whether you are eligible for the Commonwealth Home Support Program or which level of Home Care Package you are eligible for. You will also be asked about whether you want approvals to use residential respite care in the future.

In some instances, when staying at home is no longer possible, the assessment can also help to determine your eligibility for care in a residential aged care facility.

Can I have someone with me during the assessment?

Yes – It’s a good idea to have someone you trust and who knows you well at the assessment home visit. You can have a friend, family member, partner, carer or advocate with you during the assessment. To find a local advocate, contact the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600.

What are the Home Care Package levels?

There are four levels of Home Care Package for different care and support needs:

  • Level 1 for basic care needs
  • Level 2 for low-level care needs
  • Level 3 for intermediate care needs
  • Level 4 for high-level care needs.

Each level receives a different amount of government funding. The higher the level, the more funding the government pays on your behalf, allowing you to buy more services. A Level 4 package allows you to buy the most services.

Once you’ve had an Aged Care Assessment, you will be told which level applies for you.

How much do services cost?

If you have been assessed and approved for access to Aged Care services, these services will be subsidised by the government. The amount you will be required to pay will be dependent on the level of support you have been assessed for and (for Home Care Packages) on an Income Assessment that will be conducted by Centrelink. In most cases the majority of the cost of the service will be provided by the government and you will be asked to pay a part contribution. 

How do I register to get support services to help me stay at home?

The quickest way to register for support and arrange an assessment is to call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Please remember to have your Medicare card handy.

Can I arrange support for my parents to help them stay at home?

You can be registered on My Aged Care as an authorised spokesperson for your parent, or the person you care for, but they will need to be present and verbally confirm that they are happy for you to speak for them. Once they have done this you will be issued with your own Aged Care number and will be able to ask questions and make arrangements on their behalf.

Are Belong at Home services funded or subsidised?

All Belong at Home services are subsidised under the State and Federal Governments. All clients are expected to pay a part contribution towards the costs for services received. These fees are set by State and Federal Governments to ensure that all costs are affordable and all service users are able to access services.